Skip to main content

Crab Cakes



The better the crab the better the crab cake.  Not all of us are lucky enough to live near a crab shack,  but I like using the fresh lump crab that can be found in refrigerator section of most grocery stores.  It can be a little expensive,  but then I don't make crab cakes every week. 


INGREDIENTS:

1 16 oz. package fresh lump crab meat
3 Cup Panko crumbs (divided into 1 cup and 2 cup portions)
1 Egg slightly beaten
3 Chopped scallions
1 Tbsp. chopped lemon zest
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
2 Tbsp. Dijon style mustard
1/2 Cup mayonnaise
Butter 
Olive oil

Mix all ingredients except 2 cups of Panko.  Form the mixture into equal size balls and make patties.  Put the remaining 2 cups of Panko crumbs on a dinner plate.  Gently cover crab patties with Panko crumbs.  Heat 2 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. olive oil on medium high heat.  Place crab cakes in oil and butter and cook until  brown on each.  Keep adding butter and olive oil in tbsp. increments until all the the crab cakes are cooked. Keep an eye on the heat.  Not every stove maintains a consistent heat.  Your stove might require adjustment up or down during the cooking process.  Serve with lemon wedge and a dab of  Dijon mustard.

You could also use bread crumbs and roll the crab patties in cornmeal.  I have done both and find the Panko makes a lighter crab cake that really lets the crab shine.

The crab cakes should be moist before rolling them in the Panko crumbs.  If yours look dry,  add a little more mayonnaise and lemon juice.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cornbread Dressing

This is probably one of the more difficult recipes.  Not because it is particularly complex, but because there never really was a recipe.  In the tradition of Southern cooks,  I learned how to make it from watching my husband's grandmother (Gay Gay) and have since modified the dish to incorporate techniques and flavors to make it my own.  Cooking in the South is a great way to bring generations together.  I learned so much more than cooking when I spent time with my grandmothers in the kitchen. Ingredients Cornbread 1 1/4 cups coarsely ground cornmeal 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/3 cup whole milk 1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs, lightly beaten 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted Directions Cornbread Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, sal

Turkey Gravy

This is Tyler Florence's (Food TV) recipe for turkey gravy.  I have tried several methods but like this recipe the best.  Now it is one of the "must" items for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  If you cannot find smoked turkey wings,  just roast a fresh turkey wing.  You won't have that slightly smokey flavor, but it is delicious just the same. Ingredients 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 large smoked turkey wing or two small wings 1 medium onion quartered 2 carrots chopped 1 rib celery chopped 1 head garlic split through the equator 4 stems fresh sage 4 sprigs fresh thyme 6 parsley stems 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour 6 cups chicken stock Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper Directions Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the wing, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and herbs, and cook for 5 minutes. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minute

30 Day Vegetarian Experiment: Done!!

Texas Caviar  I made it through the 30 days with only one minor glitch (See S outhern Courtesy vs Scientific Method ).  All in all it was not too bad.  I believe it was harder on my family than me.  When I announced I would resume eating  meat on Valentine's Day there was a collective cry of "Thank God!"  Now you can cook normally again. Keep in mind that I have been making delish vegetarian meals and that I made no attempt to stop them from eating meat.  I live in a house of adults more than capable of making or ordering out their own meat.  I am no psychiatrist but I play one as mom.  Maybe what we eat as a family becomes a fundamental element of ritual that when eliminated creates a sense of loss.   Gathering to eat is only one element of the ritual,  sharing a common meal is another.  When the family is eating once dish and I eat another,  maybe there is a sense that I am rejecting some part of our family.   Then again, their reaction may not be that deep.  They may s