Skip to main content

The 30 Day Vegetarian Experiment: Eggplant Parmesan

 


Although I just made my first post today,  this is actually my fourth day as vegetarian.  I started on a Friday,  which is particularly problematic because that is our take-out night.  I opted for a nice quinoa, beet and goat cheese chopped salad with olive oil and balsamic instead of my typical chicken, pineapple curry.   Not a bad trade really.    

So far the biggest difference I have noticed is a lack of cravings.  In only a few days,  I do not seem to have the swings between craving sweet and salty foods.  I also stay seem to stay full a little longer.  

Sunday is family meal night so I made Eggplant Parmesan.   This recipe will feed four or two with leftovers.  I do not fry my eggplant.  I dredge it in a little olive oil and breadcrumbs and then bake the eggplant pieces until they are lightly browned on each side.  I find that eggplant is like a sponge and will soak up way to much olive oil for my taste if I fry it.   I make my own sauce to control the salt and sugar but you could just as easily use a nice jar sauce.  This is such a luxurious meal you will not miss the meat.


Eggplant Parmesan 


Ingredients

  • 1 medium eggplant
  • 1 half red pepper diced
  •  1 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs (can also use Panko crumbs)
  •  3/4 cup parmesan
  • 1 cup mozzarella (optional)
  • 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 large  sweet onion (diced)
  • 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (can use fresh if on hand)
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • Salt to taste
  • Sugar if needed to balance tomato sauce
  • enough olive oil to coat the eggplant slices

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line two cookie sheets with foil. Wash and slice eggplant into 1/2" pieces.  Use one plate for olive oil.  Use another plate to mix bread crumbs and 1/4 cup parmesan.   Dredge the slices of eggplant in olive oil and then dredge in breadcrumb mixture.  Place on cookie sheet and cook until underside is golden brown (about 15 - 20 minutes).  Once brown turn eggplant slices to cook on the other side until brown.  Remove from oven.

In a two quart saucepan put 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Sauté chopped onions, garlic and red peppers until soft.  Add canned tomatoes, red wine, wine vinegar, basil, and oregano.  Cook over medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes. 

Ladle enough sauce to cover the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking pan.  Add a layer of eggplant and a layer of sauce. Sprinkle with half parmesan and mozzarella cheese.  Add another layer of eggplant, sauce and cheeses.  Bake until 30 -45 minutes until bubbly hot.  Rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Garnish with fresh basil if desired.   

Eggplant parmesan can also be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.   
 

 

     





Comments