Skip to main content

30 Day Vegetarian Experiment: Vegetarian Paella




I started the day with a little open-face peanut butter and banana sandwich.  The peanut butter is all peanuts (no additives, sugar, corn syrup, etc.).  At approximately 430 calories,  this is really a treat and not a daily ritual.   I had this wonderful fantasy that being a vegetarian meant I could eat as much of whatever I wanted as long as it did not contain meat.  I mean really,  isn't giving up meat enough?  Alas, like most utopian fantasies there is always a cold dose of realty that smacks us in the face and awakens us from our daydreams.   Even a vegetarian must balance calories. 


Tonight will be vegetable overload with Vegetarian Paella.  I have never tried this recipe but it looks delicious.  Like most paella recipes there are a fair number of ingredients.  Let's hope the result will be worth the effort!  Full review tomorrow!

You can find the recipe by following the link below.  Cookie + Kate is a great website for tasty nutritious recipes. 


 https://cookieandkate.com/vegetable-paella-recipe/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emulsion Blender

Making creamy soups is so much easier with an emulsion blender.  One pot and done!  Also known as a stick blender or hand blender.  Because it is compact and cleans easily it is perfect for small mixing projects like French toast custard or whipping cream.  This particular model is inexpensive and comes with a couple of useful attachment.  It costs about $60. Cuisinart Smart Stick CSB77  

Zester

This is another must have tool.  I like the Oxo products because they are reliable and readily available in most markets.  You might be able to use a grater in a pinch,  but there is nothing like a zester for making the lovely long strands of citrus.

Coq Au Vin

The great thing about provincial cooking is that the recipes are very forgiving.  I have made this with white  or red wine.  I have used mashed potatoes,  pasta or my family's favorite rice as the starch.  Sometimes my recipe depends on what is in the fridge and pantry.   INGREDIENTS: 6 Strips of  good quality thick sliced bacon (rough chopped) 1 Frying chicken (you can cut the pieces yourself and save money or buy a pre-cut whole chicken) 1/2 cup flour 1 Medium onion chopped or 12 cipollini onions     1-2 cloves garlic 3 Carrots (peeled and chopped) 3 Cups mushrooms (cleaned and sliced) 1 Cup chicken stock 3 Cups red wine  2 Bay leaves 2 Tbs. olive oil 1 Tbsp. herbes de provence Salt and pepper to taste In a large skillet,  cook the bacon until fat is rendered and bacon slightly crispy.  Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.  Wash and dry the chicken.  Dredge chic...