Skip to main content

Southwestern Deviled Eggs



Anyone who knows me well, knows I don't eat eggs.  It's not a moral objection,  I never acquired a taste for them.  Snails, yes.  Eggs, NO!  However,  I realize not everyone shares my idiosyncratic aversion to chicken embryos,  so  here is an easy Southwestern Deviled egg recipe.  Bon Appetit!

Ingredients:

  Six large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons salsa (I like Jardin's)
1 1/2 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1 tablespoon cilantro for garnish (optional,  you can use some of the chopped green onion as garnish instead)
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Halve eggs lengthwise. Remove yolks and add to a small bowl. Mash the yolks with a fork and stir in the mayonnaise, cheddar, salsa, sour cream, green onion and cumin. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and blend well.

Fill the egg whites evenly with yolk mixture and garnish with cilantro or green onions, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emulsion Blender

Making creamy soups is so much easier with an emulsion blender.  One pot and done!  Also known as a stick blender or hand blender.  Because it is compact and cleans easily it is perfect for small mixing projects like French toast custard or whipping cream.  This particular model is inexpensive and comes with a couple of useful attachment.  It costs about $60. Cuisinart Smart Stick CSB77  

Zester

This is another must have tool.  I like the Oxo products because they are reliable and readily available in most markets.  You might be able to use a grater in a pinch,  but there is nothing like a zester for making the lovely long strands of citrus.

Coq Au Vin

The great thing about provincial cooking is that the recipes are very forgiving.  I have made this with white  or red wine.  I have used mashed potatoes,  pasta or my family's favorite rice as the starch.  Sometimes my recipe depends on what is in the fridge and pantry.   INGREDIENTS: 6 Strips of  good quality thick sliced bacon (rough chopped) 1 Frying chicken (you can cut the pieces yourself and save money or buy a pre-cut whole chicken) 1/2 cup flour 1 Medium onion chopped or 12 cipollini onions     1-2 cloves garlic 3 Carrots (peeled and chopped) 3 Cups mushrooms (cleaned and sliced) 1 Cup chicken stock 3 Cups red wine  2 Bay leaves 2 Tbs. olive oil 1 Tbsp. herbes de provence Salt and pepper to taste In a large skillet,  cook the bacon until fat is rendered and bacon slightly crispy.  Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.  Wash and dry the chicken.  Dredge chic...